I suggest you ...

Allow playback of Blu-Ray, DVD and CD discs from an optical drive attached by eSata/USB

Support for both a Blu-Ray and DVD drives, so we have the ability to play discs.

1,545 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mjf_uk shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mjf_uk commented  · 

Thanks Fred, you muppet.

• fred commented  · 

because it is cheaper and works better, you dolt

• mjf_uk commented  · 

How is it better?

• univers commented  · 

a real bluray player is better!

• Enrico commented  · 

For me, you don't understand anything. It's normal that Netgear company uses other companies to implements parts of them FW code. So, the Netgear releases part of this GPL code to personal development. Of course, if your break the mediaplayer the problem is your... equal no warranty.
        Add, B-Rad has sent me the rewritten text of company donation, becouse my english is very bad :-(
        If you want I post it here!

• mjf_uk commented  · 

Well Netgear pay consultants and software companies, ie 3rd parties, to write code for them. Derrrr!! Give up already!!!!

• Enrico commented  · 

I see nothing wrong with that.
        When you download the new fw is written in netgear Site :
        This product includes software code developed by third parties, including software code subject to the GNU General Public License ("GPL") or GNU Lesser General Public License ("LGPL"). As applicable, the terms of the GPL and LGPL, and information on obtaining access to the GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product, are available to you at NETGEAR's Open Source Code Web page. The GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY and is subject to the copyrights of one or more authors. For details, see the GPL Code and LGPL Code for this product and the terms of the GPL and LGPL.

The only one I can think of who knows this code is B-Rad.
        My company is a donation for a test. If you want to participate this is the link paypal donation.
        No obligation to anyone. Here ends the discussion about Fw custom.

• mjf_uk commented  · 

On a site run by Netgear? You aren't really very bright are you?

• Enrico commented  · 

Ok you're right. I deleted the post because I was altered. Sorry, but I thought that the only place where I could find people to join the custom fw was this. Sorry again.

• mjf_uk commented  · 

Your post was advertising to pay money directly into someone's PayPal account, so that this person would create 3rd party firmware releases for the NTV550.

Now don't get me wrong, 3rd party firmware's could be interesting and I am not against the idea. The problem was the way in which you decided to use this site to advertise it.

There was also no need for the childish dig that you had at me, but then deleted. Grow up and take your BS elsewhere!!

• Enrico commented  · 

I do not know if I have violated Regulation of this UserVoice. If I made a mistake, I ask to communicate me and to delete all my postings by NetGear Group. Excuse me in advance.

• mjf_uk commented  · 

Agreed ultrabike, but I'm not the one trying to tell people what they should and shouldn't want. I am merely sticking up for the fact that the idea I posted was/is a good one and that many people do agree. On top of which, it was originally stated in the specs on the Netgear website. I'd rather not waste my time replying to people trying to force their views upon others, but as the thread starter, I guess it is my duty to defend the idea and the people who have voted.

• ultrabike commented  · 

@mjf_uk: All this stuff is very political and there is quite a bit of speculation. Is Cinavia going to be implemented on DISK players only? Is Cinavia going to be implemented on blu ray certified hardware only? Is Cinavia going to be implemented on players Feb 2012 and on only? Currently the NeoTV550 does not support Cinavia with the latest F/W and I'm not seeing myself updating to a F/W that will support it.

I have to agree though that if the NeoTV550 played optical media NOW with no support for Cinavia then life is good... and if they support it on a later build I ain't upgrading out my own freewill... Then we will probably have to listen to @Enrico and @inoteb words of wisdom, and rely on updates based on custom/homebrew F/W much like in the WDTV gen 1 case :)

• mjf_uk commented  · 

I still don't see the difference between playing a physical disc and 'streaming' the exact same contents of that physical disc from a hard drive. So, unfortunately, I fear the worst and expect that Cinavia will be implemented to both disc players and 1:1 content streamers. I don't want to see it happen, but it's not like any of us have a choice.

• ultrabike commented  · 

... However, I doubt Cinavia will affect disc driveless streamers... at least that is not what I've read.

• ultrabike commented  · 

@Enrico & inoteb: IMHO custom F/W on the NeoTV550 maybe possible. My WDTV gen 1 had this on it: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.0
        But I had no choice. WD drop the ball on their gen 1 F/W development. Having custom F/W is a can of worms though. I can certainly appreciate that this would be difficult to manage. However, if well managed, it can certainly be successful.

@mjf_uk: I agree with you that this is a suggestion for BluRay/DVD/CD optical playback. It is not only a great suggestion, it was a promise by Netgear to its costumers at some point (same could be said about Netflix). I 100% agree with you that if Cinavia is not an issue, this feature is A MUST! But Cinavia is a big ugly monster that Netgear apparently didn't see coming. For that mater I don't know what PCH and HDI are going to do about it, because they way I read it, these players have a higher chance of getting their primo players crippled.

We will see... My best guess is that Feb 12 will be a defining moment... I still stand by my previous suggestion... In the worst case that Cinavia is a requirement for blu ray disc player you can always unplug your drive from the NeoTV550 and disable Cinavia. Plug it, and it gets enabled. You have to mechanically insert the disc into the drive anyway so going the extra step to plug the drive to the unit shouldn't be a show stopper. I can only see two hurdles with this: 1) Will the SDK support this Cinavia enable/disable with drive detection (need to differentiate between an HDD and an optical drive OR dedicate one port to optical drive only and the rest to HDD), 2) Cinavia will affect disc driveless streamers.

• inoteb commented  · 

What makes you think that? I'm just trying to keep a cool head in this discussion and to stay courteous and reasonnable ;-)

As for the open source linked, it was just to be helpfull, sorry for that. I know absolutely nothing in fw development... and like I said I doubt that Netgear provides everything needed to create an custom firmware.

• Enrico commented  · 

Inoteb.. are you the administrator of this UserVoice? Are there special regulations here?
        The OpenSouce linked is not enough to create a custom fw.

• mjf_uk commented  · 

Well said inoteb.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base